The Office of Science is a Program Office within the Department of Energy. To view the Department's organization chart, please click here.
The Office of Science is led by a Presidentially-nominated, Senate-confirmed Director and three senior career federal Deputy Directors. Please click the organization charts links below to learn more.
Science Programs Organization
The Office of Science manages its research portfolio through six program offices:
The Science Programs organization also includes the following offices:
Field Operations Organization
The Field Operations organization includes the following offices:
The Office of Science is accountable for the effective stewardship and management of ten world class laboratories, and employs a performance based management and operating contract model to achieve these objectives. Each Office of Science Site Office oversees the operation of their respective laboratory:
Integrated Support Center
The Office of Science Integrated Support Center (ISC) is a virtual organization comprised of the combined support capabilities of the Chicago Office (CH) and Oak Ridge Office (OR), providing essential administrative, business, and technical services in support of the entire federal Office of Science complex.
The Office of Science also manages the New Brunswick Laboratory (NBL), a Government-owned, Government-operated center of excellence in the measurement science of nuclear materials sited on the Argonne National Laboratory campus.
Resource Management Organization
The following offices support the science programs and field operations offices in achieving their missions:
- The Office of Budget manages the budget formulation and execution processes on behalf of the Director and Deputy Director for Science Programs, and ensures that financial management is applied using proper accounting controls and principles.
- The Office of Grants & Contract Support manages and executes the financial actions that deliver funds to the field, and is the acquisition, financial assistance, and contract management advisor to the Director and Deputy Director for Science Programs.
- The Office of Scientific & Technical Information develops and maintains efficient, state-of-the-art tools for access and delivery of research results from the entire Department of Energy.
- The Office of Business Policy and Operations provides enterprise desktop, email services, project management, systems, and business administration support for Office of Science headquarters.
- The Office of Human Resources and Administration provides the Office of Science Headquarters organizations with a full range of workforce planning and human capital life cycle services including organizational analysis, position management and classification; recruitment, staffing, benefits services and workers’ compensation; performance management and awards; and training and development.
- The Office of Science Program Direction and Analysis formulates, justifies, executes, and manages the Program Direction budget for the entire federal Office of Science complex.