The Department of Energy is responsible for the collection, preservation, and dissemination of sponsored R&D results that are the outcomes of R&D projects or other funded activities at DOE labs and facilities nationwide, as well as grantees at universities and other institutions. This scientific and technical information (STI) is produced and published in various formats, including technical reports, scientific/technical conference papers and presentations, theses and dissertations, journal citations, manuscripts and published articles, videos, software, patents, and datasets.
The Office of Scientific and Technical Information (OSTI), a unit of the Office of Science, fulfills agency-wide responsibilities to collect, preserve, and disseminate STI emanating from DOE R&D activities. The Department has carried out this function since the 1940s and is legislatively mandated to do so, most recently in the Energy Policy Act of 2005, which reads:
“The Secretary, through the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, shall maintain within the Department publicly available collections of scientific and technical information resulting from research, development, demonstration, and commercial applications activities supported by the Department.”
OSTI also is responsible for providing public access to scholarly scientific publications resulting from DOE-funded research, and it manages the collection of all DOE STI through the collaborative DOE Scientific and Technical Information Program.
The OSTI mission is to advance science and sustain technological creativity by making R&D findings available and useful to DOE researchers and the public. The OSTI Catalogue of Collections provides information about all the DOE, U.S. government, and international science resources that OSTI maintains. Please click the links below to access specific OSTI resources:
- SciTech Connect – The extensive, primary repository for DOE science, technology, and engineering research information from DOE and its predecessor agencies.
- DOE Public Access Gateway for Energy and ScienceBeta (DOE PAGESBeta) – A portal to journal articles and accepted manuscripts resulting from DOE-funded research.
- DOE Data Explorer – A collection of scientific research data resulting from DOE R&D, including individual datasets submitted by data centers, repositories, and other organizations within the Department.
- DOE R&D Accomplishments – A searchable database of information about the outcomes of past DOE R&D that have had significant societal impact or have been widely recognized as remarkable advances in science.
- National Library of EnergyBeta – A gateway to information across the entire DOE complex.
- Science.Gov – A search tool that canvases over 2,200 scientific websites and 60 scientific databases from 15 U.S. federal agencies for science information.
- WorldWideScience.Org – A global science gateway comprised of national and international scientific databases and portals.
- SC e-journals – Provides the Office of Science (SC) management and staff electronic access to the full text of key peer-reviewed scientific journals. Titles are of broad interest to the Department of Energy.