The Department of Energy is committed to the collection, preservation, and dissemination of sponsored R&D results that are the outcomes of R&D projects or other funded activities at DOE labs and facilities nationwide, as well as grantees at universities and other institutions. This scientific and technical information (STI) is produced in various media - textual, graphical, numeric, multimedia, and digital - and published in several formats, including technical reports, scientific/technical conference papers and presentations, theses adn disseratations, journal citations, manuscripts and published articles, e-prints, videos, software, patents, and datasets.
The Office of Scientific and Technical Information (OSTI) is the office that develops and maintains efficient, state-of-the-art tools for access and delivery of research results from the entire Department of Energy. While the Department is formally required to manage STI in a DOE directive (DOE Order 241.1B), OSTI works collaboratively with STI managers at each DOE federal field office and national laboratory to ensure efficient collection and archiving of STI resources. The Department has carried out this function since the 1940s and is legislatively mandated to do so, most recently in the Energy Policy Act of 2005, which reads:
“The Secretary, through the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, shall maintain within the Department publicly available collections of scientific and technical information resulting from research, development, demonstration, and commercial applications activities supported by the Department.”
The OSTI Catalogue of Collections provides information about all the DOE, U.S. government and international science resources that OSTI maintains. Please click the links below to access some specific OSTI resources:
- SciTech Connect – The extensive, primary respository for DOE science, technology, and engineering research information from DOE and its predecessor agencies.
- DOE Public Access Gateway for Energy and ScienceBeta (DOE PAGESBeta) – A portal to journal articles and accepted manuscripts resulting from DOE-funded research.
- National Library of EnergyBeta – A gateway to information across the entire DOE complex.
- DOE R&D Accomplishments – A searchable database of information about the outcomes of past DOE R&D that have had significant societal impact or have been widely recognized as remarkable advances in science.
- Science.Gov – A search tool that canvases over 55 databases and over 2100 selected websites from 13 federal agencies for science information.
- WorldWideScience.Org – A global science gateway comprised of national and international scientific databases and portals.
- SC e-journals (Office of Science access only) – Provides the Office of Science (SC) management and staff electronic access to the full text of key peer-reviewed scientific journals. Titles are of broad interest to the Department of Energy.