Conferences and Workshop Reports
The Division sponsors workshops and studies to assist the identification of future research directions and/or to shape future research initiatives. The workshop reports have mostly been published in archival journals. (see also our Contractors Meetings)
- Common Problems in Condensed Matter and High Energy Physics, (495KB) a BES and HEP sponsored discussion held in Germantown, Maryland, February 2, 2015. The report identifies several Grand Challenge Questions that would benefit from collaborative development including topological phases of matter, quantum entanglement, tensor networks, and gauge-gravity duality.
- Hydrogen Storage (8.6MB) (Held in conjunction with the EERE Contractors' Review to promote information exchange and promote possible collaborations. Also held was a forward-looking Theory Focus Session.)
- Solid State Lighting (21.8MB)
- Fundamental Research Needs in Organic Electronic Materials, Synthetic Metals, Volume 148, Issue 1, 3 January 2005, Pages 1-3: Summary Plus | Full Text + Links | PDF (49 K)
- Research Opportunities in Corrosion Science for Long-Term Prediction of Materials Performance (1.6MB)
- New Directions in Mechanics (1.2MB)
- Design, Discovery and Growth of Novel Materials For Basic Research: An Urgent U.S. Need (130KB)
- Multiphase Flow (1.6MB)
- High Temperature Superconductivity (2.8MB)
- Current Issues in Recrystallization: A Review (9.1MB)
- Grain Boundary and Interface Phenomena in High Temperature Plasticity of Solids (1.5MB)
Materials Council sponsored studies:
- "Imaging physical phenomena with local probes: From electrons to photons," Dawn A. Bonnell, D. N. Basov, Matthias Bode, Ulrike Diebold, Sergei V. Kalinin, Vidya Madhavan, Lukas Novotny, Miquel Salmeron, Udo D. Schwarz, and Paul S. Weiss Rev. Mod. Phys. 84, 1343 – Published 26 September 2012.
- "Towards an Integrated Materials Characterization Toolbox," I.M. Robertson, C.A. Schuh, J.S. Vetrano, N.D. Browning, D.P. Field, D.J. Jensen, M.K. Miller, I. Baker, D.C. Dunand, R. Dunin-Borkowski, B. Kabius, T.Kelly, S. Lozano-Perez, A. Misra, G.S. Rohrer, A.D. Rollett, M.L. Taheri, G.B. Thompson, M. Uchic, X.-L. Wang, G. Was, J. Mater Res. 26(11) 1341-1383 (2011).
- "Long Range Interactions in Nanoscale Science," R.H. French, V.A. Parsegian, R. Podgornik, R.F. Rajter, A. Jagota, J. Luo, D. Asthagiri, Y.-M. Chiang, S. Granick, S. Kalinin, M. Kardar, R. Kjellander, D.C. Langreth, J. Lewis, S. Lustig, D. Wesolowski, J.S. Wettlaufer, W.-Y. Ching, M. Finnis, F. Houlihan, O. A. von Lilienfeld, C. J. van Oss, T. Zemb, Rev. Mod. Phys., 82 (4-6) 1887-1943 (2010).
- "Electrostatic Modification of Novel Materials," C.H. Ahn, A. Bhattacharya, M. Di Ventra, J.N. Eckstein, C.D. Frisbie, M.E. Gershenson, A.M. Goldman, I.H. Inoue, J. Mannhart, A.J. Millis, A.F. Morpurgo, D. Natelson, J.-M. Triscone, Rev. Mod. Phys. 78, 1185-1212 (2006).
- "Macromolecules at Surfaces: Research Challenges and Opportunities from Tribology to Biology," S. Granick, S.K. Kumar, E.J. Amis, M. Antonietti, A.C. Balazs, A.K. Chakraborty, G.S. Grest, C. Hawker, P. Janmey, E.J. Kramer, R. Nuzzo, T.P. Russell, C.R. Safinya, Journal of Polymer Science: Part B: Polymer Physics 41:2755-2793 (2003).
- "Nanoscale Thermal Transport," D.G. Cahill, W.K. Ford, K.E. Goodson, G.D. Mahan, A. Majumdar, H. J. Maris, R. Merlin and S.R. Phillpot, Journal of Applied Physics, 93:793-818 (2003).
- "Report on UC Berkeley Nanoengineering Workshop, August 4-5, 2000, A. Majumdar, J. Hickman, K. Likharev, A. Shakouri, Microscale Thermophysical Engineering, 4:131-154 (2001).
- "Relaxation in glass forming liquids and amorphous solids," C. A. Angell, K. L. Ngai, G. B. McKenna, P. F. McMillan, and S. W. Martin J. Appl. Phys. 88, 3113 (2000).
- "DOE Panel on Time-Dependent Interfacial Decohesion," C. J. McMahon, J. A. Pfaendtner, R. C. Muthiah, C. T. Liu, D. A. Muller, R. F. Cook, P. Sofronis, J. Lufrano, Y. Xu, J. L. Bassani, Y. Mishin, C. Herzig, P. Gumbsch, O. N. Mryasov, and A. J. Freeman, Materials Science and Engineering A, 260, vii-x & 1-93 (1999).
- "Tailored Porous Materials," T. J. Barton, L. M. Bull, W. G. Klemperer, D. A. Loy, B. McEnaney, M. Misono, P. A. Monson, G. Pez, G. W. Scherer, J. C. Vartuli, O. M. Yaghi, Chemistry of Materials, 11(10), 2633-2656 (1999).
- "Radiation Effects in Crystalline Ceramics for the Immobilization of High-Level Nuclear Waste and Plutonium," W. J. Weber, R. C. Ewing, C. R. A. Catlow, T. Diaz de la Rubia, L. W. Hobbs, C. Kinoshita, H. Matzke, A. T. Motta, M. A. Nastasi, E. H. K. Salje, E. R. Vance, S. J. Zinkle, J. Mater. Res., 13(6), 1434-1484 (1998).
- "Radiation Effects in Glasses Used for Immobilization of High-Level Waste and Plutonium Disposition," W. J. Weber, R. C. Ewing, C. Austen Angell, G. W. Arnold, A. N. Cormack, J. M. Delaye, D. L. Griscom, L. W. Hobbs, A. Navrotsky, D. L. Price, A. M. Stoneham, M. C. Weinberg, J. Mater. Res., 12(8), 1946-1978 (1997).
- "Ion Beams in Silicon Processing and Characterization," E. Chason, S. T. Picraux, J. M. Poate, J. O. Borland, M. I. Current, T. Diaz de la Rubia, D. J. Eaglesham, O. W. Holland, M. E. Law, C. W. Magee, J. W. Mayer, J. Melngailis, A. F. Tasch, Journal of Applied Physics, 81(10), 6513-6561 (1997).
Other DOE/BES Reports:
The DOE Energy Materials Coordinating Committee (EMaCC) enhances coordination among the Department's materials programs and furthers the effective use of materials expertise within the Department through the exchange of budgetary and planning information among program managers and through the sponsorship of technical meetings/workshops on selected topics.