Conferences and Workshop Reports
The Division sponsors workshops and studies to assist the identification of future research directions and/or to shape future research initiatives. The workshop reports have mostly been published in archival journals. (see also our Contractors Meetings)
Materials Council sponsored studies:
- "Imaging physical phenomena with local probes: From electrons to photons," Dawn A. Bonnell, D. N. Basov, Matthias Bode, Ulrike Diebold, Sergei V. Kalinin, Vidya Madhavan, Lukas Novotny, Miquel Salmeron, Udo D. Schwarz, and Paul S. Weiss Rev. Mod. Phys. 84, 1343 – Published 26 September 2012.
- "Towards an Integrated Materials Characterization Toolbox," I.M. Robertson, C.A. Schuh, J.S. Vetrano, N.D. Browning, D.P. Field, D.J. Jensen, M.K. Miller, I. Baker, D.C. Dunand, R. Dunin-Borkowski, B. Kabius, T.Kelly, S. Lozano-Perez, A. Misra, G.S. Rohrer, A.D. Rollett, M.L. Taheri, G.B. Thompson, M. Uchic, X.-L. Wang, G. Was, J. Mater Res. 26(11) 1341-1383 (2011).
- "Long Range Interactions in Nanoscale Science," R.H. French, V.A. Parsegian, R. Podgornik, R.F. Rajter, A. Jagota, J. Luo, D. Asthagiri, Y.-M. Chiang, S. Granick, S. Kalinin, M. Kardar, R. Kjellander, D.C. Langreth, J. Lewis, S. Lustig, D. Wesolowski, J.S. Wettlaufer, W.-Y. Ching, M. Finnis, F. Houlihan, O. A. von Lilienfeld, C. J. van Oss, T. Zemb, Rev. Mod. Phys., 82 (4-6) 1887-1943 (2010).
- "Electrostatic Modification of Novel Materials," C.H. Ahn, A. Bhattacharya, M. Di Ventra, J.N. Eckstein, C.D. Frisbie, M.E. Gershenson, A.M. Goldman, I.H. Inoue, J. Mannhart, A.J. Millis, A.F. Morpurgo, D. Natelson, J.-M. Triscone, Rev. Mod. Phys. 78, 1185-1212 (2006).
- "Macromolecules at Surfaces: Research Challenges and Opportunities from Tribology to Biology," S. Granick, S.K. Kumar, E.J. Amis, M. Antonietti, A.C. Balazs, A.K. Chakraborty, G.S. Grest, C. Hawker, P. Janmey, E.J. Kramer, R. Nuzzo, T.P. Russell, C.R. Safinya, Journal of Polymer Science: Part B: Polymer Physics 41:2755-2793 (2003).
- "Nanoscale Thermal Transport," D.G. Cahill, W.K. Ford, K.E. Goodson, G.D. Mahan, A. Majumdar, H. J. Maris, R. Merlin and S.R. Phillpot, Journal of Applied Physics, 93:793-818 (2003).
- "Report on UC Berkeley Nanoengineering Workshop, August 4-5, 2000, A. Majumdar, J. Hickman, K. Likharev, A. Shakouri, Microscale Thermophysical Engineering, 4:131-154 (2001).
- "Relaxation in glass forming liquids and amorphous solids," C. A. Angell, K. L. Ngai, G. B. McKenna, P. F. McMillan, and S. W. Martin J. Appl. Phys. 88, 3113 (2000).
- "DOE Panel on Time-Dependent Interfacial Decohesion," C. J. McMahon, J. A. Pfaendtner, R. C. Muthiah, C. T. Liu, D. A. Muller, R. F. Cook, P. Sofronis, J. Lufrano, Y. Xu, J. L. Bassani, Y. Mishin, C. Herzig, P. Gumbsch, O. N. Mryasov, and A. J. Freeman, Materials Science and Engineering A, 260, vii-x & 1-93 (1999).
- "Tailored Porous Materials," T. J. Barton, L. M. Bull, W. G. Klemperer, D. A. Loy, B. McEnaney, M. Misono, P. A. Monson, G. Pez, G. W. Scherer, J. C. Vartuli, O. M. Yaghi, Chemistry of Materials, 11(10), 2633-2656 (1999).
- "Radiation Effects in Crystalline Ceramics for the Immobilization of High-Level Nuclear Waste and Plutonium," W. J. Weber, R. C. Ewing, C. R. A. Catlow, T. Diaz de la Rubia, L. W. Hobbs, C. Kinoshita, H. Matzke, A. T. Motta, M. A. Nastasi, E. H. K. Salje, E. R. Vance, S. J. Zinkle, J. Mater. Res., 13(6), 1434-1484 (1998).
- "Radiation Effects in Glasses Used for Immobilization of High-Level Waste and Plutonium Disposition," W. J. Weber, R. C. Ewing, C. Austen Angell, G. W. Arnold, A. N. Cormack, J. M. Delaye, D. L. Griscom, L. W. Hobbs, A. Navrotsky, D. L. Price, A. M. Stoneham, M. C. Weinberg, J. Mater. Res., 12(8), 1946-1978 (1997).
- "Ion Beams in Silicon Processing and Characterization," E. Chason, S. T. Picraux, J. M. Poate, J. O. Borland, M. I. Current, T. Diaz de la Rubia, D. J. Eaglesham, O. W. Holland, M. E. Law, C. W. Magee, J. W. Mayer, J. Melngailis, A. F. Tasch, Journal of Applied Physics, 81(10), 6513-6561 (1997).
Other DOE/BES Reports:
The DOE Energy Materials Coordinating Committee (EMaCC) enhances coordination among the Department's materials programs and furthers the effective use of materials expertise within the Department through the exchange of budgetary and planning information among program managers and through the sponsorship of technical meetings/workshops on selected topics.