The Office of Science issues two types of funding announcements:
FOAs and DOE National Laboratory Announcements may be issued either as companion announcements—where one of each announcement type is issued in the same topical area—or as stand-alone opportunities. All proposals submitted in response to FOAs and DOE National Laboratory Announcements undergo merit review.
Each funding announcement issued by the Office of Science provides:
- a technical description of the type of work to be funded;
- information about the type, size, number, and duration of awards expected;
- eligibility criteria;
- instructions for submission of letters of intent (if required), preapplications or preproposals (if required), and applications or proposals; due dates and times;
- review and selection information, including merit review criteria;
- award administration information; and
- agency points of contact.
The Office of Science also issues a cross-cutting, open solicitation annually that is open year-round.