Sheltering in Place
If you are advised to shelter-in-place by local news or our website, please follow these instructions:
- Bring everyone inside (including pets).
- Close all doors and windows.
- Turn off and close all ventilation systems, including:
- Air conditioning
- Attic & exhaust fans
- Fireplace dampers
- Determine what sector you are in (see Evacuation Map & Routes (6.0MB)) and listen to an EAS station (see Public Notification) for further directions.
- When the outside air is no longer dangerous, an EAS message will be released ending the shelter-in-place. Do not re-open the ventilation in your building or home until you receive the EAS message or update from our website.
- Shelters may open for individuals who cannot return home due to a shelter-in-place. If you are affected in this manner, please listen to EAS stations for a list of open shelters, or go to the home of a friend or relative outside the area of concern.
Last modified: 3/5/2016 8:20:48 PM