Mission & Functions
The Deputy Director for Field Operations (DDFO) is responsible for:
- providing management oversight of, and direction to, the Headquarters (HQ) Offices reporting to the DDFO, the Integrated Support Center (ISC) Chicago and Oak Ridge Offices, and the SC Site Offices;
- setting SC-specific policy related to operational functions executed by the Office of Science and the management, operation, and overall well-being of SC laboratories;
- ensuring effective and consistent implementation of operational policy across the SC complex; and
- ensuring that the SCMS is current with the SC mission and reflects best business practice policies and procedures. As the owner of the SCMS, the DDFO involves the Deputy Director for Science Programs and the Deputy Director for Resource Management in coordinating the objectives of the SCMS.
The Deputy Director for Field Operations:
- Serves as the principal advisor to the SC Director and Deputy Director for Science Programs on operational issues affecting the Office of Science. These include environment, safety, and health (ES&H); safeguards and security (S&S); and cyber security. Determines strategic direction and budget priorities for the offices reporting to the DDFO.
- Assists the SC Director and Deputy Director for Science Programs in carrying out certain aspects of their operational duties and responsibilities.
- Assists in the formulation of budget requests for the S&S, and Facilities and Infrastructure (F&I) Programs and in the defense of these budgets through DOE, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), and Congressional committees.
- Provides management oversight of and direction to the SC Integrated Support Center, the SC Site Offices, and the SC HQ Offices of Laboratory Policy and Evaluation (LPE), Safety, Security & Infrastructure (SSI) and Cyber Security & Enterprise Architecture (CSEA). Appraises the performance of their Directors/Managers.
- Establishes SC-specific policies, plans, and procedures related to the operational functions executed by the Office of Science. Examples include management of cyber and physical security. Sets expectations for SC-wide performance in these areas.
- Establishes SC-specific policies, plans, and procedures related to the management, operation, and overall well-being of the SC laboratories. These include S&S; ES&H; F&I management; enhancement of contractor performance; improvement, extension, and competition of management and operating (M&O) contracts; Work for Others (WFO); and Laboratory Directed Research and Development (LDRD).
- Establishes the SC position regarding the impact of proposed or revised legislation, Executive Orders, and DOE policies regarding the management, operation, or well-being of SC laboratories or operational issues affecting the Office of Science. Resolves disputes within SC when necessary.
- Establishes priorities for the Program Direction budgets for the offices reporting to the Deputy Director for Field Operations.
- Serves as Head of Contracting Activity (HCA) for the SC complex.
- Champions SC interests regarding the development of operational policies, requirements, or initiatives by the Department, other Executive Branch agencies, or the Congress affecting the Office of Science or related to the management, operation, and well-being of the SC laboratories. Works to resolve disputes at the highest levels of the Department whenever necessary.
- Ensures consistent implementation of operations-related policies across the SC complex and consistency in oversight of contractor performance. Monitors and assesses oversight effectiveness.
- Ensures the SC Integrated Support Center provides best-in class technical, business, and administrative services in support of SC, other DOE Program Offices, and as appropriate, other Federal agencies.
- Integrates the efforts of the offices reporting to the DDFO. Also ensures that operations-related issues are integrated with the SC Program Offices and other DOE Program and Staff Offices.
- Works with the SC Deputy Director for Science Programs to integrate operations-related activities with research program activities. Ensures SC Site Office Managers maintain working relationships with the Associate Directors sufficient to effectively integrate SC science programs with laboratory operations at national laboratories performing SC-sponsored research.
- Represents SC and makes commitments for the Department in discussions and meetings with high-level government and private sector officials. Meetings are typically with members of the Congress and representatives of other science funding and policy agencies, including OMB, OSTP, and the Defense Nuclear Facilities Safety Board.
Last modified: 3/20/2014 4:47:18 PM